Friday, November 15, 2013

The Speech Gobbler: A reinforcement turkey craftivitiy


I saw an occupational therapist making something like this with each of her clients and thought this could be a fun way to work on different therapy targets with a Thanksgiving theme.  Have you ever looked at the difference between therapy crafts made during speech therapy sessions versus occupational therapy sessions?  I usually prep before hand by cutting out the shapes and laying out the activities.  Of course this is due to my desire to maximize therapy time not secondary to my inner Martha Stewart who doesn't like crafts to be completely imperfectly.  Of course the Occupational therapists always have the kids draw the shapes and cut them out so they look a little different. 

I called this Henry the Homophone turkey because I wrote out some homophone pairs on the clothespins.  The client picks a clothespin, I would say a sentence and they would have to pick the correct homophone and then define the other one.

Here's how you can make your own:


1.  Get your supplies.  I tried to find colored clothespins but I couldn't so I ended up picking up some Sharpie Wood markers to color my own.  This took a lot of time.  I think turkeys can have brown feathers too, right?  Sometimes I just can't let it go.  


2.  Cut out some kind of turkey shape.  I really liked the brown glitter paper I found.  My turkey has some BLING!
 3.  Add a beak and nose if desired.  I just cut these out of cardstock.  Then I laminated it for durability.

 4.  Add the eyes and clothespins.  I LOVE googly eyes.  So fun to really put on anything in speech therapy.  Add them to your travel coffee mug and tell your kids that you just need to talk to Mr. Coffee for a minute.  

5.  Decide on your therapy targets or leave blank.  I wrote on one side and left the other side blank to use it as a reinforcer game for drill activities.

Are you making any crafts for Thanksgiving?  Are you better at letting your clients or students complete their own crafts?  Or do you like to have mini-masterpieces leave your speech room. If you liked this post, please consider sharing it with others on Pinterest or Facebook by clicking on the buttons below.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...