Monday, May 27, 2013

Scribblenauts Remix: An awesome app review

My computer is starting to run really slow-but I only need it for one more week of virtual speech therapy.  Then I have the whole summer to figure out how to speed it up.   So instead of playing an online game during therapy, we played Scribblenauts Remixed.  I've recommended Super Scribblenauts for the Nintendo DS as a home program over the summer.  I was really excited when I found out they'd made this into a iPad app.

This is one of my favorite apps to use for language and vocabulary.  Each level requires you to solve a problem by typing in an object.


Then it is displayed on the screen:


Different levels require different tasks:  including categorization (name 4 items needed in a classroom), object associations (what goes with doctor) and object functions (what do you need to get something down from a tall tree.)

One of the best features of this app is that you can use adjectives:



So this app works on descriptive vocabulary and also adjective plus object combinations.

Another great features it that it will prompt you to specify the meaning when you use multiple meaning words.


I also like to use this app with my clients who have Social language challenges.  First you can add an negative adjective (mean, evil, crabby) to a person or animal and it will start doing inappropriate behaviors (ex. hitting other characters).

I also really like this app to work on flexible thinking.  There are multiple ways that you can solve each level.  For example, the first level is focused on trying to get the star out of the tree.  I might challenge my client to see if they can figure out three different ways to accomplish the goal.

  • Axe: Chop down the tree
  • Giant ladder: Climb the tree
  • Jetpack: Fly up and get the star.  
I wish that I'd taken time as I went through the different levels to write down the "problem" or task on each level.  This would really make it easier to customize each level to my clients needs.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...