Sunday, September 8, 2013

Back to School Get to Know you Backpacks: A fantastic purchased craftivity

I purchased the pattern for this activity from Brooke Hildebrand on Teacher's Pay Teachers during the big Back To School Sale.  Brooke is also the author of the blog Once Upon a First Grade Adventure.


I made this with almost all of my kids this week.  This product comes with the templates, which I cut out while binge watching Breaking Bad at home over the weekend.  That way, I could make sure that we were maximizing our time in therapy.

I started by having each kid fill out the "All about me" page.  For a lot of my kids, I helped them write it so we could save time.  This was a great way to work on WH questions as well as participating in a "Get to know you" activity. For instance, I never would have guessed that one of my clients would have answered "sardines" as his favorite food.

 I had my social language clients (who know me) try to fill out the template for me.  It was pretty hilarious.  My age ranged from 20-70 and my favorite thing is NOT going to Speech.  We talked about how some of this information was good for our Friend Files.  Friend Files is a concept created by Michelle Garcia Winner.  Jill Kuzma has some great visuals you can use to help teach this skill to your kids.  

We also worked on directions and basic concepts: 
  • Put the red snap UNDER the blue page
  • Put the hook ON top of the bag
  • Put the straps next to your information page.  
I had cut out worksheets or pictures targeting each clients therapy goals and placed them in the backpack.  After we were done making the backpack, we put these cards in the backpack to practice our skills or to send home as a home program.  

Disclaimer Statement: I did not receive any payment or free copy of the above activity.  I just really liked it and wanted to share it with you!  

If you liked this activity, you can find more about Brooke:

Blog
Teacher's Pay Teachers

I hope you liked this post!  Please consider sharing this post of Facebook or Pinterest below!  


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...