Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Conjunction Resources

"Conjunction Junction, what's your function..."  

That song and the "I'm just a Bill, sitting here on Capitol Hill" (seemingly prophetic in these divisive political times) send me back to my flannel night shirt days.  Saturday mornings my brother and I would wake up so early there would be a test pattern on the screen.  We'd watch it.  Eventually cartoons would come on and we'd sit in front of the t.v. until some boring show about an old guy and a Bear came on.  This has nothing to do with my post on Conjunctions, it's just a quick way for me to reassure myself that I'm not letting my little guy watch too much television after all.  

So I have a new TPT product: Valentine's Day Conjunctions.  The BEST thing about this one is that only half of the product is themed.  SO you can use it all year round.  Students work on joining sentences using "and," "but" and "or."  Valentine's Day Conjunctions is available HERE.







Here are some Youtube video's I found to support this lesson.  First, the classic: 

CONJUNCTION JUNCTION.   



Katy Perry Fireworks: Conjunctions style.  (The singer in this is horrible, but you could always learn it and belt it out American Idol style during your sessions.)  




Justin Bieber loves Conjunctions.  Cute video that highlights conjunctions in his song "Baby"


WARNING.  This next video is not really appropriate for kids.  But it's clever and a good way to demonstrate WHY conjunctions are important.  I'm sure you could adapt it with sock puppets or some crazy iPad app.  


Here's one more resource from Grammaropolis: A song about FANBOYS.  (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so.)  


I love using music to try to teach concepts.  What songs or resources have you used to teach these skills?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...