Monday, October 28, 2013

Halloween: Tactile Cauldron


 Last year I saw a post about hiding objects in a Halloween cauldron filled with shredded paper.  Since we had a paper shredder at work, I picked up a cauldron at the local Goodwill.  BIG MISTAKE.  I couldn't stand the mess of the shredded paper-plus the paper would cling to my hands and got everywhere.  This year, I switched to split peas which I thought had a creepy greenish texture to it.  I just put the peas in the cauldron, filled it with different Halloween objects and used it in therapy in the following ways:

1.  Labeling/Halloween vocabulary:  We worked on actual labels as well as synonyms-a bat is scary.  Can you think of some other words for scary?  We also worked on describing the textures of the objects: hard, wet, slimy, squishy etc.
2.  Articulation practice: We hid our articulation cards in the peas and took turns taking them out and saying our words.
3.  Guess what I'm getting: The client could feel what was in the cauldron and then needed to describe it without naming it.

I think there are lots of ways you can use this within therapy.  What are some ways you could use it?  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...