Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Make your own: Superhero Card eaters

Who knew that something so easy as can with a hole in it would be motivating in Speech Therapy?

I've used Super Duper's animal buddies before when I am doing drill work.  It's pretty fun for my younger kids.  There are four animals on the box and you can feed the animals their favorite foods.


It's especially hilarious if the animals hate it and make horrible retching sounds if you feed them the wrong foods.

I wanted something for my older clients.  The Occupational therapists that I work with use coffee containers with an X cut out on the top and have their clients work on finger strengthening by pushing pom pom balls through the lid.  I wanted to use something like that but with a design, which is how I came up with Superhero card eaters:
Clip art by ReviDevi
MATERIALS:

  • Empty Can with Lid (I chose Pringles because they are delicious and small enough to store easily-but a coffee can might work better since you could put larger articulation cards in the top.  
  • Duck Tape
  • Clip art with Superhero or other design
  • Power point or other graphics software
  • Sticker Paper 
STEP ONE:  Eat pringles.  I love pringles.  I was planning to make 3 or 4 different cans for this post, but my husband didn't realize that I wanted to save the empty cans we ate during a road trip.  *sigh*  I guess I'll have to eat more pringles.  

STEP TWO:  Cover can in Duck tape.  I love that there are so many different kinds of Duck tape-I saw Justin Bieber tape on clearance a few weeks ago.  I didn't get it but wished I had as I have several Belieber's on my caseload.  

STEP THREE:  Create Super hero Head.   Create circles the size of your can in Power point or another graphic's  program.
You can download these circles I made for the smaller Pringles can HERE.


I purchased some Super hero clip art with big heads from ReviDevi on Etsy.  I added the clip art in Power point and resized it until the head was in the middle of the picture.  I printed it off on sticker paper.  Due to copyright and trademark laws, I don't use these images in products that I sell.  
Clip art by ReviDevi
STEP FOUR: Cut out Superhero head and attach it to the lid.  
Clip art by ReviDevi
The pringle lids were a little small (and the mouth in the artwork was at the bottom.)  My next ones I make, I would center the mouth more towards the middle or pick different clipart.  But it works pretty good for putting small tokens or money in them.  

Clip art by ReviDevi 
Clip art by ReviDevi
How have you used old cans in therapy?  I'd love to hear about it.  If you found this post helpful, please consider sharing on Pinterest or Facebook by clicking on the buttons below.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...